In recent years, social interest in and awareness of environmental protection has increased significantly. The population is increasingly aware of the impact of its activities on sustainable development. As a result, more and more companies are including sustainability-related issues in their agenda, and environmental education is one of the ways to improve the culture of sustainable management.
What is environmental education?
Environmental education is one of the pillars of sustainable development. The awareness of citizens and companies on environmental issues is fundamental to deepen the impact that human activity has on the environment and, consequently, the involvement in the adoption of responsible measures.
Regardless of the size of the company, its activities directly or indirectly affect the environment. It is therefore necessary to develop training and environmental awareness activities for organizations.
Why should I train my employees on environmental issues?
It is a reality that consumers are changing their attitude and behavior on sustainability issues. According to a study presented by KPMG, 76% of consumers prefer to do business with companies that have a culture focused on sustainability. Therefore, the competitive advantage of companies is also associated with their commitment to the environment. In other words, nowadays, being involved in sustainable aspects is a key factor for business and the competitiveness of companies.
Benefits of having an environmental management system:
- Strengthening of corporate image and reputation
- Improved stakeholder appreciation and satisfaction
- Reduced costs associated with improved production processes and efficient use of available resources.
- Opportunity to collaborate with other companies that share social responsibility values.
- Favor access to public bidding processes, provision of goods and services and other awards.
- Increased business opportunities by placing your company in an advantageous position compared to the competition.
How to sensitize employees to environmental education issues?
To promote sustainable practices, the role of environmental education within your organization is fundamental. Here are some activities to take the first steps:
- Promote the use of sustainable means of transportation
- Encourage responsible employee participation
- Encourage the reduction of energy consumption
- Manage waste efficiently
- Calculate and offset your carbon footprint