April has seen the highest temperatures since 1961. According to the data obtained so far by the Meteorological Agency (Aemet), the average temperature in Spain has exceeded the monthly average for April by 3 degrees.
The high temperatures are an indicator of the need to act in the face of this climate crisis that is threatening the health of the planet. Millions of people are falling victim to the meteorological phenomena caused by climate change. In the face of this global emergency, action must be taken to move the planet towards a sustainable future.
Green transition: towards a sustainable development model
The green transition encompasses all political, economic and social measures and strategies aimed at moving towards a sustainable development model.
The set of political initiatives included in the European Union’s strategy to achieve the goal of climate neutrality is known as the Green Pact. To achieve this goal, the EU states have committed to achieving climate neutrality by 2050 by fulfilling the commitments set out in the Paris Agreement.
The big commitment to decarbonise the global economy and society is the Paris Agreement. This is a legally binding international treaty adopted in 2015 on climate change. The aim of this treaty is to reduce CO2 emissions to limit global warming to below 2°C below pre-industrial revolution levels. The EU and its member states commit themselves through this policy to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by at least 55% from 1990 levels by 2030.
In addition, the EU and Latin America are strengthening their partnership with the launch of the Euroclima project in the Caribbean, a climate action that seeks to promote a green and just transition.
Measures to achieve the green transition
The transition to a greener productive and social model also requires social and political institutions to take measures such as those detailed below:
- Drawing up a political climate action plan. In Spain, the Ministry for Ecological Transition and the Demographic Challenge (MITERD).
- Promote the energy transition, reducing the use of fossil fuels and guaranteeing the supply and generation of energy based on clean energies.
- Contribute to the use of environmentally friendly transport (bicycle, public transport, electric scooters, etc.).
- Renovate buildings to ensure energy efficiency.
- Mobilize research and promote innovation in business, livestock, agriculture and science.
- Strengthen green public investment.
If you want to be part of this commitment and integrate sustainability into the structure of your company, find out how to take your first steps here.